Tuesday, 27 March 2012

mein vati

so my mother went away for a week and it fell to me to look after my dad whilst she was away. My mother puts a lot of effort in with looking after my dad. previously i thought it was really only harmful to keith. that he would be more sane and healthy without that care.
So mother swans off to cyprus and i take a rather lax approach to keiths care. This moring the nurse wakes me up saying keith has collapsed on the floor. At this point i thought i may of made an error in my opinions of this matter. I didnt really know what to do. my brother came over and with a rather annoying swagger proceeded to fix father with a shot of insulin.
so yeah my father had an operation to remove bladder cancer which went wrong and left him in intensive care for several days. they revived him and through a long path of effort he is still going a decade later. but it now appears his link to the living is a rather tenuous one and without a constant effort from my family he would not survive.
but living the way he does it is not so different to the person kept alive by machines. he is a direct product of my familys efforts and really has no personality of his own. If i was solely responsible he would not live long. I think he is rather indifferent to it all. he endures because people fight for him but he would fairly easily drift into the afterlife if that care was taken away.

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought this was a sad story. Certainly the situation is sad. However it's really a story of love overcoming a difficult situation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete